NORTHWEST TERRITORIAL MINT
USN USS North Carolina SSN-777 Coin
The USS North Carolina (SSN-777) was built by Northrop Grumman Newport News (then called Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company) in Newport News, Virginia on 30 September 1998 and her keel was laid on 22 May 2004. She was christened on 21 April 2007 sponsored by Linda Bowman, wife of Admiral Frank L. "Skip" Bowman, the former director of Naval Reactors. Captain Mark E. Davis, the ship’s first commanding officer, leads a crew of approximately 134 officers and enlisted personnel.
The boat has physical connections to previous North Carolinas. Sections of the teak decking from the battleship BB-55 are reused within the submarine, and several pieces from a silver serving set made for the armored cruiser ACR-12, then transferred through the state governor to the battleship will be used aboard SSN-777. North Carolina joined the USN on February 21, 2008.
The ship's official commissioning ceremony was held on May 3, 2008, in Wilmington, North Carolina, then she joined the U.S. Navy's Atlantic Fleet based in New London, Connecticut.
- This coin honors the USS North Carolina and salutes all who have served on board
- Minted in a brass alloy, this coin is given an antique finish
- Imbued with the bold colors of the emblem of the USS North Carolina
- The reverse features the seal of the US Navy along with space available for engraving
- Size: 1 3/4 inch (44mm) round