NORTHWEST TERRITORIAL MINT
USN USS Henry M Jackson SSBN-730 Coin
USS Henry M. Jackson (SSBN-730), a Ohio-class ballistic missile submarine, was to be named USS Rhode Island when the contract to build her was awarded to the Electric Boat Division of General Dynamics Corporation in Groton, Connecticut on 6 June 1977 and her keel was laid down on 19 January 1981. Shortly after Senator Henry M. "Scoop" Jackson of Washington State died, SSBN-730 was renamed, making her the only ship of the United States Navy to be named for the Senator, and SSBN-740 became the third Rhode Island.
Jackson was launched on 15 October 1983 sponsored by Jackson's Daughter, Ms. Anna Marie Jackson, and commissioned on 6 October 1984, with Captain R. Tindal in command of the Blue Crew and Captain M.A. Farmer in command of the Gold Crew. The Henry M. Jackson is the only ship of the Ohio-class submarine fleet not to be named in honor of a state.
- This coin honors the USS Henry M. Jackson and salutes all who have served on board
- Minted in a brass alloy, this coin is given an antique finish
- Imbued with the bold colors of the emblem of the USS Henry M. Jackson
- The reverse features the seal of the US Navy along with space available for engraving
- Size: 1 3/4 inch (44mm) round